5 Ways Big Data is Changing the World
- Data as a Deadly Weapon: leveraging mass amounts of data has become a major component for military intelligence, development, and strategy. Governments are investing in software that is better equipped to deal with the mass amounts of data being collected.
- Saving the Earth: massive sets of data can help us to better understand environmental shifts, and to plan for future threats.
- Watching you Shop: collecting information on shoppers habits, whether it be purchases or simply how they navigate through a store, companies are better able to anticipate what we’ll buy and what we’ll want to buy tomorrow.
- Scientific Research in Overdrive: Modern methods of data collection are more more efficient and cost effective, paving the way for innovation and discovery.
- Big data, Bigger Privacy Concerns: Every time you search, every time you visit a website, this information may be recorded and solid. Collecting data on users’ online activity brings up serious privacy concerns.